Otago Rail Trail 2018: National Tandem Bike Event
When: 30 October – 2 November 2018
Where: Begin at Middlemarch, finish at Old Clyde
Cost: Subsidised at $200 per person – payment options may be available.
Applications close Sunday 16 September
If you’re a Kiwi over 18-years-old who is blind or has low vision and wants a tandem biking adventure, apply now for the annual 2018 Otago Rail Trail. Enjoy the great outdoors, challenge yourself and meet people.
What is the Otago Rail Trail?
New Zealand’s first Rail Trail and Original Great Ride opened in 2000. It journeys through the heart of Otago distinctive landscape, big skies, with a wild and natural environment steeped in history and remoteness.
What is the route?
The trail is 152 km long and follows the former route of the Otago Central Railway. We will begin cycling in Middlemarch and finish in Old Clyde. This is covered over three days, averaging 50 km per day.
How do I know if I am suitable for participating in this bike trail?
- Are you a Blind Foundation client?
- Are you 18 years or older?
- Can you ride up to four plus hours in a day? (compact gravel trails, some sealed road, quietly undulating terrain) The longest day is approximately 55 kilometres.
- Are you able to ride confidently with a daypack includingyour own snacks, lunch, water and first aid supplies?
- Do you enjoy the outdoors and a social group and staying back packer style shared accommodation?
- Do you enjoy communal cooking and eating?
- Keen to challenge yourself and encourage others?
How many will be on the trail?
Places are available for up to eight people, with tandem pilots sighted guides (staff and volunteers), and support crew.
What is the cost?
The subsidised cost of this national event, is $200 per person. Payment options may be available, please discuss this with Erin Eyles or Chris Moffitt directly.
Applications close Sunday 16 September 2018.
Contact: Erin Eyles, Community and Recreation Advisor, 03 375 4318, email@example.com or your local Community and Life Enrichment member for more information or for an application pack.