Our annual street collection, Guide Dog Puppy Week plays a vital role in funding practical and emotional support services.
During Guide Dog Puppy Appeal, we hit the streets to raise funds towards the breeding and training of guide dogs, and raise awareness around the incredible role these dogs play in the lives of those living with vision loss.
With your help during these collections, we can reach more people who are blind, deafblind, or have low vision in your community. The street collection for Guide Dog Puppy Appeal 2023 will take place on Friday 24 and Saturday 25 March.
We are looking for volunteers to coordinate collections in their community. If you’re organised, friendly, and approachable, then we need you.
Just a few hours with a bucket will help to breed and train guide dogs who provide independence for Kiwis who are blind, deafblind, or have low vision.
What’s involved in organising a street collection?
Roster your volunteers. We provide you with the details of people who have volunteered to collect in your area; you draw up a roster of who is collecting where and when. We’ll provide a list of sites in your area. Don’t worry, we’ll arrange all the permissions you need from your local council and shop owners.
Distribute materials. We provide you with bibs, buckets, posters and stickers – you just need to make sure each collector has the necessary materials for collection day.
Bank donations. We’ll provide banking bags and specific instructions on how to deposit the money. You do not need to count the money.
Motivate your volunteers. Bring a positive attitude and a few encouraging words to keep your volunteers smiling on the day!
- To be available on the designated dates.
- Time to call your collectors and roster them into a schedule (4-6 hours).
- Access to your own mode of transport, perhaps with help from another volunteer.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- To be friendly and approachable.
- Telephone and email support.
- Amazing volunteers.
- Collection sites in your area.
- All the materials you’ll need.
- Reference letter or email.
- Support and gratitude from Blind Low Vision NZ Fundraising team!