Gifts in Wills
Leave a gift in your will
Blind Low Vision NZ has been helping people who are blind, deafblind or have low vision for more than 133 years. Your gift will help us continue this work for many years to come.
Blind Low Vision NZ respects the fact that the content of your Will is a very personal decision, and not one to be made without considerable reflection.
However, if you are looking for guidance, please remember that it is important to us that you look after your friends and family first. Once they have been taken care of, if you could consider a small percentage, such as 5% or 10%, it would make a huge difference. This type of gift won’t lose its value over time.
Your gift will help to fund guide dogs, vision rehabilitation, our accessible library and the ever-changing technologies and services that make it possible for New Zealanders with sight loss to live their lives to the fullest.
“I decided to leave a gift in my Will to Blind Low Vision NZ because of the amazing independence they give to people who have lost their vision.”
Petronella, seen here with her Guide Dog, Henry
How to leave a gift
Before you make or update your Will, we encourage you to talk to your loved ones about your decision first. If you choose to leave a gift in your Will to Blind Low Vision NZ, you should see a solicitor to manage the paperwork on your behalf. They can advise you on how to leave a gift in your Will while still making sure your family and loved ones are taken care of.
Types of gifts you can leave in your Will
We encourage you to talk to your solicitor or trustee company about the different types of gifts you can leave as a gift in your Will to Blind Low Vision NZ. They can help you choose the gift that best reflects your wishes – there are three main types to consider:
- Percentage gift: Leaving a gift as a percentage rather than a fixed amount will ensure that inflation doesn’t erode the value of your gift over your lifetime. It can also be used if you wish to divide your estate among a number of people or organisations. 5% could make a real and significant difference to our work.
- Residual gift: This gift is the remainder of your estate (or percentage thereof) after your loved ones have been provided for and expenses have been deducted.
- Pecuniary gift: This gift is a specific amount such as $5,000.
Wording your gift
If you are kind enough to include a gift to Blind Low Vision NZ in your Will, please make sure you include the correct wording, below. If you already have a Will, you can update this by way of a codicil, using the same wording.
“I give and bequeath to the Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind CC21361, the sum of $xx, (or) xx% of my estate, (or) the residue of my estate free of all charges, to be used where most needed, and the official receipt of the Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind will be sufficient acknowledgement of having received this gift.”
If you would like the bequest to be designated to a specific area or cause please note this in place of “to be used where most needed” above.
We are very grateful when people make the thoughtful decision to include a gift to Blind Low Vision NZ in their Will. Over the years, these contributions, large and small, have contributed significantly to our work. A gift in your Will helps ensure everyone gets the services and support they need to live independently and achieve their life goals. It is one way of making a positive difference beyond your lifetime.
Let us know so we can thank you
We understand that making a Will is a very personal matter. However, if you do intend to leave a gift in your Will to Blind Low Vision NZ, communicate your wishes to your loved ones and please consider telling us about your gift. Letting us know does not alter your right to change or update your wishes if circumstances change but it does help us plan for the future.
Do you have a question about bequests?
We are here to speak with you confidentially and answer any questions you may have. For information regarding wording or making a gift in your Will please contact: Joanne Eve – Relationships Manager Legacies
Phone 09 355 6567 ext: 6888 Mobile 022 0159 216 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
For lawyers or to notify us of a bequest please contact: Tony Robson – Legacy Administration Manager
toll free number 0800 787 743 or email email@example.com
Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind is also known as Blind Low Vision NZ
Blind Low Vision NZ Guide Dogs is a service division of Blind Low Vision NZ
Blind Low Vision NZ Registered Charity Number CC21361
To download our Gifts in Wills brochure, Our Vision Your Legacy, please download below:
Our Vision, Your Legacy
Give in Celebration
If you’d like to celebrate your birthday, wedding or another special occasion by donating to the Blind Low Vision NZ or Blind Low Vision NZ Guide Dogs, the following details how to donate the money you’ve collected:
- Make a single donation online,
- Deposit a gift directly into our bank account via internet banking. Please complete this online form to receive a deposit reference and our bank account details via email
- Send in a cheque to Blind Low Vision NZ Supporter Care, Freepost 70894, Private Bag 99910, Newmarket, Auckland 1149.
If you have any questions about giving in celebration, please email Supporter Care or call us on 0800 DONATE (366 283).
Make a gift in memory of a loved one
When you make a donation in memory of someone who is recently deceased, Blind Low Vision NZ will send a letter of acknowledgement to the bereaved family to let them know that you have made a gift. We will notify the family after approximately 2 – 3 weeks, once all donations in memory of their loved one have been received.
- Make a single online donation using your credit card
- Deposit a gift directly into our bank account via internet banking. Please complete this online form to receive a deposit reference and our bank account details via email.
- Post a cheque to Blind Low Vision NZ Supporter Care, In Memory Donations, Freepost 70894, Private Bag 99910, Newmarket, Auckland 1149.
Organise a collection at a funeral
Many families request that guests make a gift to Blind Low Vision NZ rather than giving flowers at a funeral. Your funeral director will be able to advise how best to do this.
To return the collection you can:
- Make a single online donation using your credit card
- Deposit it directly into our bank account via internet banking. Please complete this online form to receive a deposit reference and our bank account details via email.
- Post a cheque to Blind Low Vision NZ Supporter Care, Freepost 70894, Private Bag 99910, Newmarket, Auckland 1149. Please note, we recommend you don’t send cash through the mail.
Ask funeral guests to donate in lieu of flowers
If you would like friends and mourners to make a donation to Blind Low Vision NZ in lieu of flowers, you may wish to include this request in your loved one’s death notice.
Please consider the following wording: ‘Donations in lieu of flowers to Blind Low Vision NZ, Freepost 70894, Private Bag 99910, Newmarket, Auckland 1149′.
Contact our Supporter Care team
We’d love to connect with you. Simply give us a call on 0800 366 283 (0800 DONATE) or send us an email.