Make an Ophthalmic Referral
Blind Low Vision NZ provides support and services to people throughout New Zealand, from infancy to old age. Our clients have a range of visual impairments from low vision to blindness. We encourage Eye Health Specialists to refer patients who experience significant vision related difficulties with day-to-day tasks, even when wearing corrective lenses. We will contact the person referred to discuss their individual circumstances and how we are able to help.
We encourage you to use our online Ophthalmic Referral Form. There are also a number of other ways you can make a referral:
- Completing a printable Ophthalmic Referral Form (.doc) and sending it by mail, fax or email
- Phoning our Registrations Team on 0800 24 33 33
- Via a clinic letter, faxed, emailed or post to Blind Low Vision NZ
- Attaching a copy of a letter you may have written to the person or their GP
Alternatively you can email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The person’s name.
- Their date of birth.
- Their contact details (email/phone).
- NHI number if you have it.
- Ethnicity (this is to make sure we provide the most appropriate first contact).
- Their best corrected visual acuity in each eye.
- Visual field for each eye if appropriate.
- Your diagnosis for each eye.
- Their prognosis.
- Any additional information you would like to mention. This might include (but is not limited to) work difficulties, concerns about safety, involvement with ACC, or additional impairments.
Importantly, please tell us if the person knows about the referral to Blind Low Vision NZ.
If you have any questions, please call 0800 24 33 33 and ask for Registrations.